Monday, August 16, 2010

Amber's Band Recommendation: fun.

One day I was walking the dog (who stopped to stare at the barlights) so I told him to be calm. I was taking my time getting home when we passed by a store selling benson hedges and all the pretty girls were there and they lit a roman candle with me but I wanted to be the one. But at least I'm not as sad as I used to be.

So I guess using all the fun. song titles in one paragraph doesn't work out too well. Anyway if you didn't notice what I was referencing then you should read on to hear about one of my favorite bands.

fun. is comprised of Nate Ruess, Jack Antonoff, and Andrew Dost. Nate Ruess previously was in The Format. Jack Antonoff is in the band Steel Train. Andrew Dost was previously in Anathallo. These three are all very experienced and it shows from the beginning to the end of the album.

From right to left: Andrew Dost, Nate Ruess, and Jack Antonoff



My first experience listening to them was hearing the song "Be Calm" and I was hooked. I always seem to focus on the vocals when first listening to a new band. Nate Ruess' voice is amazing, The emotion he puts into his singing is really top quality. The word choice in that song in particular just compliments the melody perfectly. This band is great for fans of baroque pop or pop with unique instruments.

I further explored fun.'s first release entitled Aim and Ignite and I found all the music to be of the same wonderful quality. Sometimes since I seem to be listening to music while multitasking I can become distracted toward the end of an album. The wasn't the case this time. The ending three songs of Aim and Ignite are wonderful and arguably the best tracks of them all. "Barlights" is a great track that is upbeat and super hopeful. I absolutely love the rhythm and timing of this song. "The Gambler" is a slower paced song that always strikes a chord with me. It's a beautiful story of love. The lyrics are like a great story. The final track of the album is "Take Your Time (Coming Home)." This track is also greatly positive. One of the lyrics in the climax of the song is "See, I made it out, out from under the sun. And the truth is that I feel better because I've forgiven everyone." This song is a feel good masterpiece!

"All the Pretty Girls" is another great song with an amusing video. Ever wanted to see the members of fun. as pinatas? Check it out!




For more about fun.: Official Site Twitter

If you have enjoyed this recommendation and/or fun. there will be an extensive tour in the US in the fall click here for dates. Our website will have coverage of the Varsity Theater show in Minneapolis on 10/10/10 (yeah, epic) as soon as we can get it up. We will hopefully have video by then as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment