Monday, August 23, 2010

Amber's Band Recommendation: The Morning Benders

The Morning Benders are a great band who I categorize as indie pop or baroque pop. They have a sound that was evidently influenced by '60s music. Their tunes are very catchy and it only took one video for me to decide I needed all their albums.



One day while browsing Youtube I found this video that made me instantly love The Morning Benders:



I went on to explore their releases starting with their first album: Talking Through Tin Cans. It only further solidified my love for this band. It starts out with a song with an impassioned plea entitled "Dammit Anna". The song rejects the old saying "If you love something you'd better give it away." It is a thoroughly great song with excellent vocals. The '60s music influence of the band is also readily apparent in that track. Another outstanding song on this album is, "Patient Patient". The device of repeating words actually isn't too gimmicky. The simple drum line is fun to listen to as well. "Waiting for a War" starts off with a simple piano line and grows into something catchy. The piano line also helps build up tension in the song as it goes on. I love songs on albums that build upon each other and transition nicely. The outro to the song "Wasted Time" matches up to the intro of "Chasing a Ghost". These songs deal with what I believe sounds like a bad break up. I enjoy how the former songs tone is angry and the latter becomes more mournful/reflective. The album as a whole is an excellent debut with a mix of songs some upbeat and others slow and reflective.

I also started listening to their new release Big Echo. I haven't played it through much but from what I can tell it is pretty good but I don't know if it can beat Talking Through Tin Cans. However "Excuses" did make me want to start listening to the band so perhaps it is an album you have to grow to love.

The Morning Benders are going to be playing at the Varsity Theater in Minneapolis this fall on October 28th. I am planning on going so there should be coverage on the blog soon thereafter. Stay tuned readers! For our readers not in the Twin Cities check here for more dates.

More Information:  Official Website Their Myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment